Holiday's Buyer Guide
Buyer’s guide: Five tips for buying custom jewellery
Jewellery is an expression of the uniqueness and boldness of the wearer’s personality, and there is nothing more unique than a custom piece of jewellery that becomes a conversation starter for years to come. At Malleable Jewellers, many of our clients come to us with custom jewellery requests. It might be an old heirloom piece that they want to upcycle into something fresh and modern or simply a vague idea of the perfect engagement ring, wedding band or gift they want to give to a loved one.
There are many reasons to choose custom designed jewellery but the process to create the piece is always the same. If you’re considering buying custom jewellery, here are five points to remember.
- Have a basic idea of what you want. No one knows you, and your likes and dislikes, better than yourself. We can take educated guesses after just one meeting and create design concepts but at the end of the day, we don’t know the real you. Having a basic idea of what you want your final design to look like goes a long way to ensuring you’re happy with the final product. (Bonus tip: Sending photos of designs that inspire you are always welcomed.)
- Consider every detail. To go along with tip number one, put some thought into the finer details of what you want. What metals do you want (platinum, gold, silver, etc.)? What gemstones do you want (diamonds, rubies, sapphires, etc.)? Making these decisions before you arrive (or at least narrowing down your options) will speed up the process.
- Listen to our suggestions. While tips number one and two are important, remember that we have a lot of expertise to offer. We have a deep understanding of how to work with diamonds and other coloured gemstones, and we know how those same gemstones will behave within the jewellery. The Internet will only tell you so much about jewellery design; we are happy to share our expertise in helping you choose the perfect stones and create the perfect design.
- Know your budget. Your dream design may only be possible if it fits in your budget. Share that budget with us early on so that we can work with you to create the perfect design with stones that meet your expectations in a budget that you can afford.
- Don’t wait until the last minute. Custom jewellery can take time. Some designs can be done in a rush, but it simply isn’t possible with others because of the availability of materials or the complexity of the design. If you are planning on ordering custom jewellery for any reason at all, plan ahead and visit us early. Even if you’re not exactly sure of what you want, visiting early gets the creative process started.
Your options are almost endless when it comes to custom jewellery. Let’s put pencil to paper, and get started today.